Indoor-Grilled Skirt Steak With Wilted Bacon Slaw
Total Time: 20 minutes Serves: 6-8
For the steak:
2 pounds skirt steak, membrane trimmed and discarded
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon coarse salt
For the slaw:
1 small green cabbage (about 1½ pounds)
2 bunches scallions, white and light- green parts only, thinly sliced
½ pound thick-cut bacon, diced
2 large shallots, finely diced
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup Sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons heavy cream
What To Do
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush steak with oil and sprinkle salt evenly on both sides of meat. Place steak on grill pan and cook until just seared on both sides, about a minute per side. You will know it’s ready to turn when the meat no longer sticks to the pan.
2. Transfer steak to a baking rack set on a baking sheet. Place in oven and cook until steak reaches desired doneness, 3-4 minutes for medium-rare.
3.Transfer steak to a cutting board and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
4. Meanwhile, finely chop or coarsely grate cabbage, discarding core. Place cabbage in a large bowl with scallions and stir to combine.
5. Place bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat and cook until crisp, 3-4 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate.
6. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from pan and add shallots. Cook until soft, 2-3 minutes. Whisk in oil, vinegar and sugar, then turn off heat. Whisk in white pepper, salt, mustard and cream.
7. Pour warm dressing over cabbage and scallions and stir to combine. Stir in reserved bacon.
8. Slice steak against the grain and serve with warm slaw.