Donald Trump is now the candidate of the Republican Party for President of the United States. He will run on the Republican platform and his ideas.
The “platform” is a statement of party principles. It shows how parties differ from one another. The Republican Party just issued its platform.
Here are some the principles presented in their platform:
- Abortion is illegal. There are no exceptions for rape or women’s health.
- Teach the Bible in public high schools.
- Coal is a “clean” energy source.
- Give federal lands to the states.
- Religion is to be a guide to lawmaking.
- Judges must support “family values.”
- Female soldiers are not allowed to be in combat situations.
- Do not pass gun control laws.
- Repeal same-sex marriage.
- States should decide which bathroom transgenders can use.
- Merchants do not have to sell to gay customers.
Donald Trump has shared his own principles:
- Build a wall between the United States and Mexico.
- Deport all eleven million undocumented people in America including “Dreamers.”
- Do not let Muslims into the country until “We know what is going on.”
- Allow guns in classrooms. “Get rid of gun free zones.” Have more people with guns to save lives.
- Japan should have nuclear weapons.
- “I do not believe in climate change.” Build a seawall for one of his golf courses because of “global warming and its effects.”
- Increase taxes on the wealthy, but make sure they will pay less than they do now.
These are just some of the items in the platform and in Trump’s statements. The Democratic platform and Hillary Clinton will have different views.
It is easy to see that voters will have a choice in this election.