Welcome to The Times in Plain English   Click to listen highlighted text! Welcome to The Times in Plain English

Chicken Nuggets are Not Gold

October 14, 2013
Plain English Version

White chicken meat is one of the best sources of lean protein. It is low in fat. Chicken muscle is the breast and thigh meat that makes chicken healthy.

Some companies are using chicken parts. They put the parts in batter, fry it and call it chicken nuggets. Researchers looked at the ingredients of chicken nuggets from two fast food restaurant chains. They were not all chicken muscle. One nugget was only half chicken muscle. The other half was a mix of chicken fat, blood vessels and nerves.

The second nugget was only 40 percent chicken muscle. The other 60 percent was fat, cartilage and pieces of bone.

The researcher said, “The nuggets are really a chicken by-product. They are high in calories, salt, sugar and fat. They are a very unhealthy choice. Even worse, they taste great and kids love them.”

He said the nuggets are okay for eating once in a while.

A spokesperson for the chicken industry said, “Chicken nuggets are an excellent source of protein. They work for children who are picky eaters.” She said they have more fat because they are breaded and fried.

The researcher said he was not trying to harm the chicken industry. He wanted to remind consumers “that not everything that tastes good is good for you.” He would not say from which chain restaurants the nuggets came.

Source: The New York Daily News                                                                                        October 4, 2013

Print Friendly

In Brief

Selling Kids on Vegetables

How to get kids to eat vegetables? Marketing is the answer. You can call it tricks or just good ideas. Whatever works.

School lunchrooms are...

What Do You Call Yourself if Your Mother is White and Your Father is Black?

On the 2010 Census, President Barack Obama, identified himself as  “black.” But millions of Americans consider themselves “bi- or multi-racial.”  And their numbers are...

Mending Walls, By Robert Frost

Robert Frost (1874 – 1963) was a great American poet. Just before he died, he read his poetry at the inauguration of President John...

Pineapple on Pizza? The Global Debate

The President of Iceland started it. Last week he joked that pizza topped with pineapple should be outlawed. His remarks set off a debate...

Archives

Dictionary
  • dictionary
  • English Dictionary

Double click on any word on the page or type a word:

Powered by dictionarist.com
Click to listen highlighted text!